Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cilantro-Jalapeno Slaw



I have to tell you first of all that this is not my recipe. I got it from The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. I also have to tell you that when I saw her make it, I was skeptical. VERY skeptical. Cilantro in slaw? I don't think so. That was before I started growing cilantro and putting it in everything with any resemblance to Mexican food. Then when I decided to make the barbecue turkey on Labor Day I wanted a slaw with a twist and this one came to mind. I'm in love. Deep love. I ate it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week and I'm thinking I may have to have some tonight. I substituted buttermilk for the milk she calls for in the recipe, but other than that, I pretty much stuck to it. Don't wait, try it today!
This is her recipe, but I had to cut it way down since there are only two of us. 

1 head cabbage (I used about 1/4 small head)
1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1/2 cup mayonnaise - PW mixed the mayo and milk together, but since I was cutting the recipe I just added them separately so that I didn't have too much. 
1 to 2 tablespoons white vinegar
pinch of sugar
salt to taste
pinch of cayenne ( I used paprika) JD won't eat cayenne, I think cayenne would be great!
1 jalapeno chopped finely
fresh cilantro



Chop the cabbage, I just did a rough chop. You could grate it if you like.


Remove the rib and seeds from the jalapeno and trim the ends.


Finely chop it. I used about a whole one on my portion of the slaw. I like the heat!


Wash and pat the cilantro dry. 


Place the cabbage in a medium bowl. Add the sugar.


And the salt...


Paprika...


Add the mayonnaise. For the amount of cabbage I had I used a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise.


Add the vinegar. Again, for my recipe I used about a teaspoon. 


Add the buttermilk a little at a time. 


I mixed the slaw after adding about a teaspoon of buttermilk and then kept adding it in small amounts until I had it at the consistency I liked. Add the jalapeno and stir and just before serving place the cilantro on top.


Here's the link for the barbecue turkey just in case this makes you want it!
I love cooking in the slow cooker sometimes 'cause it just makes everything so much more simple!







No comments:

Post a Comment