Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes!


I don't think anything says summer for me quite like fried green tomatoes. Pretty sure of it. I could eat them every single night with dinner. They go with anything. Well, except maybe Mexican but I don't know, they might even work with a taco!

This recipe is for eight servings.
Ingredients:
8 small or 6 medium tomatoes
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, seasoned with 2 teaspoons sea salt and 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups white cornmeal mix plus 1/2 cup all purpose flour sifted together, seasoned with 1 teaspoon sea salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups canola oil for frying


Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat until it reaches 375 degrees.
Wash and dry the tomatoes. Slice them into 1/2 inch slices.


Lightly dredge them in the seasoned flour.


Coat both sides with the buttermilk.


Place them into the seasoned cornmeal/flour mixture and coat both sides evenly.


Gently place them into the heated oil and cook until golden on the first side.


Turn to cook on the second side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. 


I plated up a few (A good cook always tastes her food!) just for the photo, but I serve them as a side dish with really, just about anything.
I have a great dipping sauce recipe that I'll make soon and get that posted.
It also goes with just about anything. 
I love versatility!

No comments:

Post a Comment