Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Favorite Flavors...

I have flavors that I love. I also have flavors that I love together. I'm guessing that we all do, but since I'm a food freak, I think about these things alot. Too much. For years, one of my favorite flavor groups has been the following menu:

Pork chops or chicken, marinated in Italian Dressing and grilled, served with steamed broccoli and hollandaise sauce and a baked potato with lots of sour cream and chives. That was until this past Saturday when I decided to make the grilled onions that Trisha Yearwood and her Uncle Wilson made on her show the other week. You can pretty much take out the potato from this menu now. I can't begin to describe the flavor of that tender onion surrounded by crispy bacon, the tangyness of the grilled chop and then the hollandaise sauce. All of it together at once was like the fourth of July fireworks going off in my mouth! And yes, the broccoli is just an excuse for hollandaise...

For the chops, just marinate them in your favorite Italian dressing for three of four hours,  throw them on the grill on medium heat and cook until they're done. Steamed broccoli is easy enough. If you buy the frozen kind, just put it in a microwave safe dish and cook until it's warm and just tender. If it's fresh, it's best cooked in a steam basket with a little water in the bottom of the pot, cover and cook until it's tender.
Sometimes I buy package hollandaise, and sometimes I make it myself. I have a recipe that's pretty easy from an old cookbook that I'll post soon.
The onion recipe can be found below this post on the blog.
Cook these up and get you some fireworks going on in your mouth tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment