Friday, May 4, 2012

Country Steak and Gravy

I'm going to be adding recipes from my website to this blog. Forgive me, some of the early stuff is rustic to say the least. But the food is still good!






Don't be skeered, it only looks like a lot of work. Actually it only takes a few bowls, a little prep, and the cook time is only a matter of minutes. And I speak the truth, the crispy crust on the steak is worth every effort!

For the steak:
1 pound cubed steak
1 cup all purpose flour 
1 egg, 
1 cup buttermilk 
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 medium bowls
1 cup canola oil for frying

I go ahead and let my oil heat up in the frying pan while I'm coating the steak. Heat the oil to 375 degrees on medium heat.




In the first bowl, add one cup of the flour and dredge the steak in it first. 

In the second bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk and dip the steak into it, coating on both sides.


 

Place the second cup of flour into the third bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Now coat the steak with this and it's ready to cook! I forgot to take a photo when I added the steak to the pan, but here is one after I had turned it over. It cooks quickly and I usually do it like this: Three minutes on the first side, three on the second side and then another minute on the first side. It's usually crispy and ready come out of the skillet after that.




Oh my goodness! That crust is amazing!
Let's make some gravy to go with that steak!

For the gravy:
4 tablespoons of the oil left from frying the steak
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups water (you may need a little more or you can add some milk to the gravy.)
After you've cooked all of the steak, spoon off the leftover oil until you have about 4 tablespoons left in the pan. Turn the heat to high. When the oil starts to sizzle add the flour to the pan and whisk, getting all of the pan scrapings incorporated into the oil/flour mixture. Turn the heat down a little and continue stirring for about three minutes. Add the water a little at a time,  and continue whisking during and after each addition of water/milk. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper, and turn the heat to medium low.

 

Just before serving, add your steak back to the gravy. I wish I had a plate of this right now!





This was the first recipe that I made for my website last year. I like to think I've come a long way since then, remembering to actually take photos of all of the steps and paying more attention to backgrounds and lighting. But I still have a long way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment