Monday, April 23, 2012

Black and Blue Salad

I'm not a sirloin person. I'm a rib-eye gal all the way, but I'm telling you, this steak was spot on! The sirloin was less than three dollars while a rib-eye the same size was almost ten dollars. Yep the thrifty person in me couldn't pass it up, that bad boy was going home with me. I didn't have a plan for the meat when I purchased it. I knew in order for JD to eat it, I would have to make something by following these rules: a) it would have to be marinated to give it flavor b) it would have to be cooked rare, another reason for the marinade, to tenderize it c) because it was rare I would have to slice it thinly to serve it. I thought of several recipes I could use it in, but since I was so busy, it was going to be used for a large dinner salad. I could put it in the marinade, pop it in the fridge for the day and make the salad later. I really think letting the meat soak in the marinade for so long is why it turned out to be so delicious. You could even let it marinate overnight. The taste was rich with deep flavors and JD ate a huge portion of it. Okay the two of us ate the entire salad. It really was that good!



For the marinade:
1/2 cup red wine, I used cabernet
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, I apologize, I forgot real garlic at the store and I live in the sticks...
Oh, I almost forgot, the steak was crispy on the outside and I served it with blue cheese dressing. Hence the name, black and blue salad. Sorry... but it really was easy and delicious, and that's how we roll!




One pound of sirloin placed into a gallon storage bag

Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl

Pour the marinade over the steak, seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Heat the grill to high and cook for two minutes on each side. It was perfectly rare, just the way we like it. I realize not everyone likes rare steak, so adjust the grill heat and cooking time to suit your taste.

Thinly slice the steak and place it on top of any dinner salad.

I served it with blue cheese salad dressing and crusty bread. I'll post the recipe for the dressing too! This is a perfect dinner for busy days! Try it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment