Monday, April 23, 2012

Blue Cheese Salad Dressing, revisited...



Why is it revisited? Because I posted it either on my CG's tasty bites blog or my Country Gal's Place website. I think...Anyway, it's also revisited because I'm extremely forgetful and didn't buy buttermilk at the grocery store. Or garlic for the steak marinade. Or cat litter, but that's for another blog. Back to revisiting. Since I didn't have buttermilk I had to make my own and you know what? I really was skeptical, but I absolutely could not tell the difference! It turned out mah-vel-ous! Know what else? I used to make a blue cheese dressing that I concocted that had at least ten ingredients. Then one day, years later, I remembered another dressing that I'd had somewhere along the road of life. It wasn't complex, I remembered that I could really taste the blue cheese. I remembered that it was a clean blue cheese dressing. Now where had I eaten it? It took a few days, but finally it came to me, it was the Roquefort dressing that my then, mother in law made. I dialed her up and got the low down on it. I couldn't believe it, only three ingredients. Just that simple. But as I tend to do, I tried to change it, make it better. If she used garlic salt, surely real garlic, chopped finely would make it even more wonderful, right? Wrong! The purist in me wanted to make it something it wasn't meant to be. Make it like hers, it really doesn't need to be messed with!

Make it ahead of time to let the flavors scrooch up and get to know each other. If you're a space cadet like me and forget half your grocery list, while you're actually looking at the list, scroll down for directions for homemade buttermilk...

The ingredients:
1/2 cup buttermilk 
4 tablespoons Duke's mayonnaise
2 1/2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (she used Roquefort, I've used Gorgonzola, Maytag and many others)
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
or if you're like me and only have garlic powder, do it this way:
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder



Combine all of the ingredients and mix well, cover and refrigerate.


Thank you Dot!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment