Friday, April 20, 2012

Pinto Beans...

First of all, yes I do realize that I spelled 'cheesy' incorrectly on the chalkboard. Now on to business...



Sometimes you just need an old standby for dinner. Something that you could make blindfolded if you had to. That's me and pinto beans, we're buds. We have a history. We've been through this phase and that phase together. Kind of like me and mustard. We have a history too. It was a good day when I discovered that mustard is really good in pintos. Don't knock it till you try it! 
Anyway here's my recipe for them. Nothing earth shattering, just simple goodness that's easy on the purse. I start the night before I want to cook them and let them soak overnight.

Rinse the beans in cold water and drain several times until the water is clear. After the last rinse, cover them with water by two inches and cover. Let them stand overnight. The next morning drain the water and add fresh water to the pot, covering the beans by three inches. Cover the pot and cook on low to medium low. Stir them and check the water level in thirty minute intervals. After three hours of cooking, add fatback slices to the beans, stir and cover.I cook mine for six hours or more. We like them mushy, kind of a cross between soup and refried beans. That's just us.  

Not much really appetizing about raw fatback is there? 

This is perfect, scrumptious goodness going on in this pot. At least in our opinion. 
Local spring onions are a necessary accompaniment to pintos. And mustard. Sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment